If you think you are safe when you have strong password but same password with multiple accounts then think again! Recently, more than 453,000 passwords have been leaked from top notch site like Yahoo Voice. Not only this, But almost same number of password has been leaked from Formspring as reported by another tech blog techie-buzz. So, the question arises, What’s going on and most importantly how to keep our self safe from such things? In this post we will discuss all the thing related to securing passwords.
Tips create strong passwords:
- Many people use simple passwords like 123456, qwerty, their name, telephone numbers and such common facts. This is ridiculous, never do this.
- Use complex passwords which should have mixed characters, numbers and symbols.
- Make sure that the password is long enough. Less then 8 character is worthless. Passwords with at least 14 characters are considered as strong passwords.
- You may use some combination of Historic events. (e.g. The birthday of Einstein is March 14, 1879, so you may create [email protected]*B.D)
- If you have multiple accounts then you may use some combination of password for each account by choosing some characters of the site-name. (e.g. If you have Google, Hotmail and Yahoo accounts then you may choose 3rd and 1st character So the above password will be [email protected]*B.Dog, [email protected]*B.Dth, [email protected]*B.Dhy respectively)
How to secure your passwords:
Here are a few tips to keep passwords secure so that we can retrieve them easily and keep secure for ever.
- If you wanted to save in physical form then keep it in secure place.
- Make sure your passwords can’t be easily guessed.
- As far as possible, Do not save passwords on electronic gadgets. A piece of paper will be better than your mobile phone.
More tips to prevent hacking:
Having strong password is only one part of the story from being hacked.
- Always on Automatic updates to your Antivirus, Firewall or Internet security.
- Update your operating system at regular interval on time. At least once a week.
- Use genuine Operating System and other application software.
- Do not have same passwords for multiple accounts.
- Use 2-Step verification or similar process if possible. Google offer this for free to there users make sure that you have enabled.
- HTTPS is always better than HTTP. Turn it on as far as possible.
- Take extra precaution while you are on public computers.
- Sites like flickr allows openid login, Use your Gmail or facebook account to login to Flickr to reduce extra burden to remember passwords.
- Do not put your personal information on the Social Media sites.
- Most Importantly, Take extra care with Password retrieval options. Most people are careless about Password retrieval options. Even many of them can’t retrieve their own account because they do not remember what the data they feed during sign up.
Hackers are not dummies, They are intelligent people who have sharp minded. But, Extra care with account security can keep them away from you. Nowadays we can’t say that any account is secured but of course we can do whatever is possible.
I hope you have enjoyed the post. Leave your comment or suggestion to improve this post or even blog.