Gmail is most famous email service from Google. Most of us like Gmail because of its simplicity, enhanced mail search and no multimedia ads. I am also one of Gmail lover because of these superb features. Recently Gmail (or Google) account has enhanced its security by implementing 2 Step Authentication, which is awesome and till now no other mail service has such feature. Gmail comes with a lot of apps, feature and all comes free where as other provider charges for the same feature.
On the other hand, Gmail is not the most reliable and secure service. Some times it goes down and recently we have seen that about 150,000 account wiped which was unfortunate, Some are recovered but not all.
Why we should Backup Gmail
1. Oh.. I have mentioned one reason earlier that really matters. We have seen a number of outage in last few years.
2. what would happen if your Gmail account is compromised! This is the second reason for sure. This unfortunate thing happens in world. Definitely, You don’t wanted to be a victim.
3. There is no such thing! but the above two are enough to have backup of your emails.
How Do I backup my Gmail?
Oh, its very easy! In this post I will help to create backup your Gmail to Hotmail or Windows Live Mail. Follow these simple step and be secured.
1. Go to Gmail Setting and hit “Forwarding and POP/IMAP” tab. Then “Enable Pop for all mail” as shown in the image below and save (by hitting ‘Save Changes’ button)
Now you have enabled pop access from remote server (here that will be Hotmail) and all your mail will be retrieved in Hotmail account.
2. You need a windows live mail or Hotmail account. sign up for that. or If you already have sign in to your account.
3. Hit the small icon near Inbox link to take “More action for inbox”. This icon will be visible when your pointer reaches the position nearby. means it will be available on hover. As shown in above image. Now click “Get email from another account” link. Alternatively, You can go to your option page and click the same link (Get email from another account).
4. Now, enter your Gmail address (full address e.g. [email protected]) and Gmail password. Now, Hotmail will ask to save retrieved email to a folder or inbox. Go for first option. Rename the folder and Icon if you wish. Now hit the “Save” button.
5. At last Hotmail will ask you to always use https for security. Since we have done all for backup and enhance security. Go for it.
We are all done now.