When you buy a PC or Laptop you might get Windows preinstalled which is just enough to start your system. Is it that simple? It may be good to see for first time. But you will soon realize the preinstalled software not just enough to do most of tasks.
Today, we will take a look on most awesome software for PC or laptop. Of course all these are for different purposes. With the help of these software you will not only fulfill your basic needs, become more secure but also feel *proud* to use genuine software. So this is a win-win situation.
Let’s start with some essential security software and first make our pc secure.
- Antivirus: Since we are going to use Windows based system, and unlike Linux operating system, we must have antivirus software, a firewall and a spyware if not built-in with antivirus. When it comes to free antivirus, Avast Antiviruscomes first in my mind. Not just because it is most popular free antivirus but it is best free antivirus. You may install Avast Free Antivirus program. The competitor in the list is AVG AntiVirus Free 2015. These two software are, in fact, the most popular freeware. The only thing I do not like about these two is pop-up messages. These are really annoying sometimes. But, hey they are free.
- Firewall: Day by day, the inbuilt firewall of Windows is becoming more powerful. If you will be using your PC with limited exposure then you may not need to add additional firewall software. But, if you download torrents or connect with a insecure network or site then this will be a must go option. For free firewall I will pick ZoneAlarm free Firewall.
- Multimedia Player: I love to play all videos on VLC multimedia player. It is definitely not good for audio library. You might stay with default Media Player. But, for Videos you must try VLC media player. It provide better video output and controls then other application. It is free and open source. VLC media player is not only available for Windows based operating system but also for Linux based operating systems, but who cares here.
- Codec Pack: kLite codecpack is more than enough for your PC. They are available in many packs. Depending upon your need choose any. But I still recommend you to use Mega pack with default setting. K-Lite mega pack codec also includes Media Player Classic, but do not install it.
- Office Suite: It’s true that there is no replacement for Microsoft Office suites but LibreOffice is good. Well, there was a time when I believed OpenOffice, predecessor of LibreOffice, will replace Microsoft Office. But I was wrong. Neither LibreOffice nor OpenOffice is perfect replacement. But it is also true that only a few people truly need Microsoft Office. Both LibreOffice and OpenOffice is enough for us. Try LibreOffice.
- PDF reader:PDF readers are essential part of our daily life and a pc should have this. However most of sites recommend Adobe Acrobat Reader but I rely on Foxit PDF reader which is small in size and can do almost everything that can be done by Adobe Acrobat Reader.
- Picture Managers: When I talks about picture managers, I always share Google Picasa. Picasa is easy to use, can backup or upload your picture to Google+, have some awesome tools to crop, tune and basic editing. You may backup all (yes all) your photo with maximum 2048px resolution and upload to Google server.
- Torrent Client: In the recent past torrenting or p2p sharing has emerged as a brilliant sharing tool. Well, in many of the cases it is used for downloading illegal multimedia contents like movies and songs. But it could be used for transferring really big files, in GBs. For file sharing I rely on uTorrent. Which is really small in size and do not have major impact on PC resources. But since last version it became so annoying and irrelevant ads. I have tried alternatives to uTorrent but did not find any. There is however a paid version but I would better choose other software like qTorrent.
- Web Browser: Until Windows comes with the replacement of Internet Explorer I will and never suggest you to use IE as your primary language. These days most popular browser is Google Chrome and it has a good reason for it. It is much cleaner and user friendly than any other browser. If you are not on a 1GB-2GB system then you may easily switch to Chrome.
- Anti-Malware: This might be optional but highly recommended software, Malwarebytes. Believe it or not, it is best in its class or more precisely it defines a class. In fact if you have to buy software then go for the pro version of it. Its malware detection and removal rate is awesome. But, meantime it is not a replacement for antivirus or firewall.
- File Hosting: Internet can make things easy. It would be wonder for me if you will never try Dropbox or Google Drive. Dropbox is true cross platform file hosting solution. Try Dropbox with this link to get 500MB extra storage.
Of course this is not a complete list. But I can’t believe a Windows PC without these 11 freewares. If you have a different list, do share with me.