At the completion of first year of netrival.com domain registration i would like to share my one year blogging experience. In a few days it will be in second year (If we consider blog launch). I am blogging since many year and as said earlier, I was not serious about it. It was just for fun and learn technology.
Here is a short timeline of my one year blogging experience.
1. Before Launch: On 1st January the whole process started. I started to look for a domain. I decided to have a .COM domain since it was easiest to remember for most people, who have less knowledge about internet. After searching a lot I found this domain. Well, It was not a perfect one I was looking for. since it has not any keyword. But rather than opting a long keyword rich domain, I opted NetRival an 8 character domain.
In the mean time the availability of username at various social networking site was in my mind. So, You can say I opted this domain for branding. Also I think it is more important to create a brand rather than having keyword rich domain for SEO. In some time google will not consider it as an SEO factor. However this is my personal opinion but it has some solid reason.
2. Deciding Web-host: I do not hesitate to say I adopted a lot of things from Amit Agarwal (founder of Digital Inspiration) including the theme I am using currently. I chosen DreamHost even after reading some negative reviews, just because labnol is hosted their. It was also cheap option which was offering $97 off on 1 year hosting and a free domain. Exactly one year ago I registered the domain netrival.com. At the time of payment I became surprised since they discounted me only $50, where as I used a coupon of ShoutMeLoud worth $97. But, Since I had already registered the domain I decided to continue with them. I used the $97 SML coupon and got $50 off and you can say I blamed Harsh for creating a fake coupon (Which is wrong, Sorry Harsh!!). Then I asked Amit Agarwal for a $97 coupon. I became surprised because he created a coupon and shared in an hour. Also asked me to inform if i used. It was really embarrassing to me when I was not able to change coupon. Even after one year i felt guilty about Harsh Agarwal and Amit Agarwal. [One should follow these people they have really good blogging experience, also they are very polite.]
3. The site launch: Their was no party like thing. After installing and customizing WordPress in a few days I finally launched the site January 14th, 2011. The launch was nothing but removing NOFOLLOW, NOINDEX tags from header and submitted sitemap to Google Webmaster tools and invited Google and other bots to crawl my blog. 😉
4. A big downtime: At the end of Janurary 2011. I faced a big downtime of about 16-18hrs and they credited $9.95 to my account. I was happy with the amount they paid. But, Paying back is not a good thing for live site since it will not only lose traffic for that time period but search engine also hates such thing .
You may find more articles: Search NetRival for my blogging experience
5. Frequent Downtimes: In October-November my blog started getting a lot of downtime which was short and so I was not able to contact dreamhost at right time. When I asked they said that they are killing my site due to High usage of resources. It was again surprising since I was not using any thing which would have really big effect on the resources usage. Then I decide to either change the web-host of move to VPS. Obviously the first option was right.
6. Moved to HostGator: On black Friday I purchased HostGator baby plan and in 2-3 days I moved my blog to HostGator. After this move I have not got any major or remarkable downtime. So, I can say HostGator is better. HostGator is also used by a number of top indian bloggers. Let’s see what happens in future.
Conclusion: One thing I should make things clear about web-hosting. Nothing comes free or at cheap price. But, Since I have not really good experience with Dreamhost does not means they are bad. Their are some good points in which Dreamhost is better. Like if your are not a web-admin then possibly you will need someone’s assistance. For this Dreamhost Panel is better. but for high usages of server resources try HostGator. HostGator offers cPanel so 3rd party login will not be possible.
DreamHost have Debian Linux and HostGator have CentOS. It is believed that Debian based Ubuntu is offers easy VPS hosing experience. Choose what you want but both have their own downside and upside. Another major change is the domain pricing. Dreamhost offers most famous TLDs at $10 whereas HostGator charges $15 for the same.
This is my one year blogging experience at NetRival [Hosting]. I can’t share everything in just one post. So, I will share some more post about one year blogging experience about SEO, strategy why I failed and survived, the impact of Google Panda. And of course some inspirational ideas.
If you are a blogger then please leave your own blogging experience by commenting of leaving a link to your own post.